We Filipinos are lucky to have been blessed with an abundant history. And in the country, Vigan is probably one of those places who remains rustic, yet gleams modern class. And now, to help the city bring out more of its spark, let us vote Vigan as one of the 7 Wonder-Cities.
I have been to Vigan City last April 2010. It was one of my most memorable trips, as if I communed not just to our ancient roots, but also the fact that my grandfather was Ilocano. I didn’t mind the long bus trip going to and forth, I just wanted to see why it deserved its spot in the UNESCO World Heritage List, and I believe I got the answer as soon as I stepped there.
From the beautiful houses in Calle Crisologo to the breathtaking Plaza, Vigan has it all to be considered a gem city of the Philippines. In 2013, it was also recognized as the National Winner - Cities Category of the First Gawad Pamana ng Lahi because of its people's endeavors. A small city Vigan might be, you might be surprised on how its local government helps preserve its heritage and develop it at the same time.
Here are other fun facts about Vigan City:
- It is the only city in the Philippines inscribed in the list of UNESCO World Heritage Sites and Monuments
- It represents a fusion of Asian building design and construction with European Colonial architecture and planning
- Vigan is an exceptionally intact and well preserved example of a European trading town in East and Southeast Asia
- It is the third oldest Spanish settlement in the Philippines
- Most favorite delicacies in Vigan are Empanada, Bagnet, Vigan Longganisa, Mikilunggay, Masa Podrida, Chichacorn and Royal Bibingka
- They have world class products like the Tampong (Blanket or sack), Labba (round basket), Burnay (pottery), Damili/Terracota (clay pots) and Vigan furniture.
Have you sent your votes yet? If not, please visit www.n7w.com/en/cities and make Vigan a worldwide treasure. Now I can't wait to plan my next trip to this beautiful city. Thank you Vigan City Government for a chance to promote your treasure.